Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Gift Must Go On


{ I was asked to consider blogging by some friends of mine this summer, so I thought "why not?" After some thinking, I decided to dedicate this post to my mother...}

Nothing is worth having that’s not worth sharing... 

For the past five summers of my life, my mother has been dedicated to the ASI Youth For Jesus program. First, she served as assistant cook, then girl’s dean, and finally as logistics coordinator. She’d poured her passion into it. The first four years, I was the reason she was involved, but this summer she did it on her own.

If you are privileged enough to know my mom, you’d know she’s a woman of great energy; everything she does is done completely and in efficient time. With her involved, any project is bound to be a success whether it be coordinating weddings, interior design, researching for companies, programs, trips, nursing, cooking, raising kids and taking care of her husband. She makes me tired just watching her. And if you get her together with a couple like-minded friends, it’s like watching dynamite explode. 

I’ve always known that she is great with young people, and this summer I noticed it even more. At the farewell party Youth For Jesus held at ASI, almost every single youth had difficulty saying bye to “Mama Vivian”. She’s a mom to them all and she’s been a mom to them all in previous years. 

That’s when I realized I have hundreds of “siblings” scattered around the world who have become such because they’re my mom’s kids. And they will always be. That will never change, regardless of whether or not they keep in touch. 

Several asked me what it was like having to share my mom so much. Hence the concept: nothing is worth having that’s not worth sharing. My mom can’t be used up whether she has over a hundred kids or not. I’m hard pressed to find a better reason to smile than when I see kids clinging to her, crying, and saying she’s like a second mom to them. 
When you’ve got one of the best moms in the world, you can’t keep her to yourself.

Thanks, Mom, for not only being such an amazing mom to Alan and me, but to hundreds of kids who’ve come to know you as “Mom”. It’s our pleasure to share. 




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful thought. I like it. And I agree she's a pretty special lady. ;) Love my Tia! Missed her a whole bunch on my AV team this year.

    Thanks for blogging btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you both so much!
    Thanks for the good memories!

    ReplyDelete